Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The need to Create 2



Severance Pionteki Kehrlein 1975


Severance was one of the first works I did in Aix. I was leaving my old "self" behind in California....


Michael in the old world-Aix Pionteki Kehrlein 1975



I was in the "old world" but to me it so new and I was trying to situate myself. I started drawing differently using a sort of cross hatching technique, which I would refine AND redefine.



d'apres Ingres Pionteki Kehrlein 1975



I turned to the "Maîtres" for inspiration.



after a Picasso self portrait Pionteki Kehrlein 1975





What I found was a little "hard", but the technique was extremely interesting. It would take over a month for one drawing, using over 40 different color pencils in "layers". This technique of layering I would use later in oil painting under the influence of Titian.




Woman in pink shorts Pionteki Kehrlein 1976



Woman sleeping Pionteki Kehrlein 1977


I softened up! my drawings became ethereal.

I was ready to PAINT!







No comments:

Post a Comment